Friday, September 9, 2011

Video Game Music Month Song #9: Rising Dragoon


For as long as I can remember, I've stuck with the fighting game circuit ever since I got into video games. My earliest memories stem back into the days of the arcade and SNES, when Street Fighter II broke into the scene and changed the way players had to brawl and settle disputes once and for all. Through the years, I've seen the series and other games in the genre grow, changing in shape and form and evolving into something that society generally accepts thanks to the intense competition these titles provide. These days the arcade business is slowly getting stale, and online competition is where it's at for most gamers of today's generation. Since I belong to the former, I still stick to my roots even as I conform to newer standards, and as the saying goes - "some things change, while others stay the same".

As a result of my Street Fighter nostalgia, I've been wondering what tune resonates with me today more than the other tracks that have clearly defined the series over the years. I have too many songs I like, and I'll probably pick others later down the line. Yet if I had to pick one for today, it would have to be Ryu's theme from Capcom and Arika's Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - Rising Dragoon. Prior to the 2.5D fighting game we got with the Street Fighter IV series, this was the very first "Street Fighter game in 3D" to explode in the arcade scene, eventually getting upgrades and getting an enhanced port in the Playstation.  It's an upbeat and inspiring theme mixed with Japanese ethnic sounds and instruments. This is the arranged version (which is extended and has more emphasis), and I'd definitely recommend this track for SF peeps to give a listen to.


Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - Rising Dragoon (Extended Ver.)


No comments:

Post a Comment