Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Video Game Music Month Song #27: MvC Staff Roll



Capcom's VS games ruled during the latter part of the 90's. I remember spending countless hours and tokens in arcades just duking it out and playing through several rounds of Marvel characters squaring off against Capcom's finest. When the series reached its third crossover battle with Marvel Vs Capcom, I was delighted by the fact that not only did we get a different assortment of characters aside from mostly Street Fighter characters, but the end boss was a totally different beast, Onslaught himself (and not Apocalypse who was recycled for the two previous installments). Easily my favorite entry of the original trilogy, there were minor and subtle changes to the game's engine, but the overall brawl and tag team mechanics remained the same. Also, before things were blown out of proportion by its sequels MvC2 and MvC3, this game remains somewhat the most balanced of the lot, and it even sported some of the best fighting game themes for the characters featured in its roster.

While it had a very Megaman inspired soundtrack in a general sense (minus the character themes), Ithe one track I enjoyed the most from MvC was the Staff Roll. It's light hearted, colorful, and gives the player a sense of fulfillment for finishing off Onslaught and beating the game. I can still make out the assist characters in the game giving the player a final salute as the credits roll.


Marvel Vs Capcom - Staff Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment