Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Leap Day Post: Micro movie reviews and David Finch in Manila!
It's Leap Day today, and it's a good time to get some things posted up that I haven't had the chance to talk about. February 29th only comes once every 4 years, and because it adds an extra day to the calendar, we're treated to an extended goodbye for this month before welcoming March and the slow signs of Summer beginning. There's a lot of activities and dates piled up, and I'm going to talk about one big event to look forward to next month... DC Comics artist David Finch coming to Manila!. For now, here's some Micro Movie Reviews that I've been itching to share. Read them after the jump!
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Seeing this courtesy of Warner Bros. Philippines last Feb. 27, this Oscar nominee flick stars Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock, with their son played by Thomas Horn. Adapted from the novel of the same name by Jonathan Safran Foer, the young actor plays Oskar Schell, a boy who's desperately searching for a lock that will fit a mysterious key he found in his father's closet. Having lost his dad (played by Hanks) during 9/11, Oskar hopes his journey helps him find something that can help him cope with his loss. He meets all sorts of people during his search, and slowly reconnects with the people closest to him in life, namely his mom and paternal grandparents.
Despite being a nominee for this year's Academy Awards, I can see why this film earned mixed reviews. It puts a lot of emphasis on Oskar's journey, and most of the tale is told by him narrating the events in a sometimes complex and unorthodox manner. What I can tell you is that I enjoyed Max Von Sydow's role here, which earned him a nomination for Best Supporting Actor as well! Check it out only if you like drama and real life situation stories!
Rating - 2/5
This Means War
Thanks to 20th Century Fox Philippines, I got to see Chris Pine and Tom Hardy rule with the Will Smith produced comedy, and I kid you not. Playing two CIA agents who are best friends, these two work together like blood brothers... until they fall for the same woman played by Reese Witherspoon! The chemistry these two have on screen is absolutely amazing, and the way they do whatever it takes to get Reese Witherspoon is totally hilarious. Definitely one of the best action comedy films I've seen this year, and anyone looking to bring a date to see fun and excitement shouldn't skip this at all. McG delivers with this.
Rating - 5/5
As for the big announcement, here goes:
Comic Book Writer/ Artist David Finch coming to Manila!
Fans of Comics and Batman,
In partnership with Fully Booked, Gotham Ph (the Bat-family cosplay sub-group of Justice Ph) will be at Bonifacio High Street this Saturday, March 3 to help promote the arrival of David Finch (artist/writer of Batman) in Manila on March 11, 2012. Be sure not to miss me, my groupmates, and Gotham Madness as we commemorate one of comicdom's leading talents this year!
See you all there!
Stay tuned for more announcements here, Fully Booked's David Finch microsite, and Justice PH detailing that event! That's it for now! Hello March!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment