Sunday, March 25, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games


I haven't read any of The Hunger Games books, and after seeing this film, I can honestly tell you why I'm glad I skipped out. As much as possible, I prefer to keep myself in the dark for movies adapted from literary works I have yet to read, and I'd much rather pick up the novel once I've seen the film version to save myself from looking out for the flaws or loose adaptations. That being said, I rested easy got and to enjoy what I can consider another one of those "healthy starts" for movies in the year 2012. Special thanks goes out to Microsoft Philippines and GMA Network for providing these tickets again to the screening!



Movie: The Hunger Games 
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland 
Release Date: March 21, 2012 

Before beginning this pretty short review, I'd like to point out again that this movie may have similarities in concept to the film Battle Royale, but it is no way the same. The premise and nature of The Hunger Games differs entirely from the Japanese cult classic flick, and while it still has young kids fighting each other to the death, the plot alone can tell you that there's nothing to compare the latter with the former. That being said, let's get down to business, and tell you why this movie is talked about!




The Hunger Games Trailer


Based on the novel of the same name by Suzanne Colins, The Hunger Games is set in a dystopian future, where districts are rules with an iron fist by Panem - a nation that has risen out of the ashes of war in what was once known as North America. Each of the 12 districts "pay tribute" by selecting one boy and girl during a process called "The Reaping" to be offered in "The Hunger Games" - a "battle to the death" competition that has a single winner claiming fame and victory. Volunteering to take her sister Prim's place in order to save her, 16 year old Katniss Everdeen is selected to represent her home District 12 in the 74th annual Hunger Games. She is joined by her fellow district mate Peeta Mellark, and together they face an uncertain fate, which only guarantees the survival of one and the death of many others as Panem watches.

My initial reactions to the marketing of The Hunger Games were decent at best. Any idea of what the movie was thanks to checking out some trailers online, but I still kept myself on the dark on the details of the plot to save personal impressions for later. After seeing the movie, I can honestly say that I'm very impressed with the film version, and I'm very enthusiastic to look into the novels and see the inevitable sequels on film once they come out in theaters. The dystopian future setup was nicely done, and the bizarre differences between those who live lavish (and slightly weird) lifestyles in Panem and the poverty stricken people of the districts stand out. The Hunger Games themselves look like something of a mix between Survivor, American Idol, and American Gladiators, and just because kids star in it you can honestly be fooled into believing its just another show without any harm done to the contestants. That is quickly proven wrong with the events shown in the film, and it soon becomes a desperate game of survival that only allows one outcome: won or die.

On a side note, I couldn't help but notice some things that stood out and reminded me of stuff found in DC/ Marvel comics and their movies. Call it coincidence or the popculture eye, but I saw a Justice League reference, some shades of Hawkeye/ Green Arrow techniques, and of course the fact that you have hollywood stars in this film who have appeared in Marvel movies like X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger. I won't spoil what those are, so check the film and see if you do.

Casting wise, the film was blessed with superb talent, and it's highlighted by having the lovely Jennifer Lawrence onboard as Katniss, who gives you all the more reason to root for her in surviving through the events of the games given her beauty and gracefulness. Josh Hutcherson plays her district mate and partner Peeta, and while that role served as a way to throw a male lead into the mix with romantic situations involved, it'll be further complicated by the fact that Liam Hemsworth (yes, the brother of Chris "Thor" Hemsworth) plays Katniss' childhood friend Gale, who undoubtedly adds tension and a love triangle dynamic that will be explored in the sequels. Also, having the likes of Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, and Donald Sutherland gave the film such credence that every role they played gave life and importance to the film's nature and the events transpiring from within.

Directed by Big and Seabiscuit director Gary Ross, The Hunger Games proves to be one of those films that some people will be look at with mediocrity, but it shines through nonetheless and provides a good 2 hour plus action movie full of drama, suspense, and entertainment. Fans of the books will definitely see some discrepancies and differences, but they should more or less be satisfied with the film adaptation. I enjoyed it immensely, and you could really see the intensity play down as the odds really stood out against Katniss, Peeta, and all those involved in a gruesome game that pays tribute to a rule that doesn't favor them at all. Bottomline, if you're hungry for some action with a teen dynamic to it, give this one a go.

Rating - 5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment